OFF: Sky Cries Mary, _Fresh Fruits for the Liberation_

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Sep 8 16:05:06 EDT 1998

Paul said...

>I just picked up a CD called _Fresh Fruits for the Liberation_ by Sky
>Cries Mary in the used section today.  I guess it's a new release, since
>it's (C) 1998.  It appears to be a collection of rarities, remixes,
>etc., stretching all across their career.  (It includes their track from
>the Pink Floyd tribute, _Saucerful of Pink_, for example. [on-topic
>reference!])

<snip>

>Running time is ~62 minutes.  I've not really had a chance to listen to
>it, but the early stuff (tracks 1--4) sounds pretty weird and
>"industrial."

Yes, that's what I hear.  I haven't got FFL or the first two terribly rare
albums (soon to be re-released on CD, I believe), but I consistently hear
'industrial' as the main descriptive adjective (a redundancy?).  Funny that
the band at that time was Roderick Romero (still with them) and the two guys
(Stringfellow and Auer) who later formed the alterna-pop group 'The Posies',
as neither they nor the current SCM have any industrial leanings any longer.

I had the immense pleasure of seeing SCM live last month in Seattle at the
WOMAD three-day festival...they played an amazing 75-min. set to a very
large (my best guess would be 800 or more) and enthusiastic audience.
Tracks like Deep Sunless Sea, Elephant Song, Want, 2000 Lt. Yrs. from Home,
Iceburg, etc. really blew us all away.  Unfortunately, no ASOP (i.e., An
Ant, the Stars, and Owl, and it's Prey), but what the hey?  High
expectations were not only met, but surpassed.  Read my review in Aural
Innovations (hint) if you want to hear more about this show.

The sad news on the SCM front is that guitarist Michael Cozzi has split from
the band, although he may appear at the next live performance in Bellingham,
WA (Oct. 3 I think).  But that will definitely be it for Cozzi in SCM.  Too
bad...he did nice things for them.  This comes on the heels of Gordon
Raphael's leaving the band and moving to NY (I think).

BTW, Anisa (Romero) is the proper name of the co-lead singer, who just
happens to be the wife of Roderick.  She's got a wonderful voice, very
elegant and waifish on stage, a perfect counter to Roderick's manic energy.

Keith H. (FAA)