OFF: Gigs to be rated?

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Dec 18 11:10:29 EST 1997

Damon C Capehart writes:

> >If this is so, then why do the pope, Pat Robertson, Billy Graham,
> >etc., etc. live like kings, while Christ said to sell all one's
> >possessions and give the money to the poor?
>
> I don't know... perhaps because part of human nature is to occasionally (or
> perpetually) do the opposite of what we should know is right?  Because most
> of us have trouble seeing beyond the immediate?  The possible answers are
> aplenty.

That seems to be more an American phenomenon. There does seem to be an
ethic of "If you;re sufficiently devout, God will reward you with
riches" around. I think that's why the tele-evangelist movement never
really caught on in europe. To us a lot of it looks like triteness mixed
with naked greed.

> As far as I'm concerned, if God (or whoever) decides to take everything I
> own from me, I'll survive with Eternity in mind.  Yeah, I'll be upset at
> first, but hey, it's just STUFF.  And that's quite the point of all of this
> hubbub.  Life is here for a few decades, and then *poof*, it's gone, and
> what do you get to take with you?  Nothing but a nekkid soul.

Hey, I'm gonna be downloafded.

Mike "Heads" Holmes