BOC-L Digest - 22 Apr 1997 - Special issue

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Apr 23 13:13:01 EDT 1997

> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>
>
> >Cheer up maybe we will have the comp for the Geezer fest ready prior to
> EW so we can talk about the songs included there.
>
> Yes, at least one new BOC tune will hopefully be on CD soon.  I have mixed
> feelings about the 2 live cuts as I've got so many copies already - but,
> I thought a bit about the "other artists" appearing on the CD.  Not being
> big fans of theirs, I don't want to necessarily hear new music from them
> on this compilation - I want to hear their hits!  I expect Foghat's "Slow
> Ride" and maybe "Fool for the City" would be on there, Steppenwolf doing
> "Born to be Wild" and "Magic Carpet Ride", and Pat Travers (he is the
> other act on Summerdaze, right?) doing "Boom Boom - Out Go the Lights".
> So, I can understand why "The Reaper" and "Godzilla" appear on this CD.
>
> John

The Guitar World article said that Steppenwolf would be headlining
the show.  I can't explain this, and I mean them no disrespect.  BOC
certainly WAS the biggest of all these bands.  The order itself means
nothing to me, exc. that it will shorten BOC's set if they go on
early.  I don't blame BOC for releasing live cuts, esp. if EW is
expected to see light of day anytime this year.  And honestly, as
John says, ANY  material from the  band will be most welcome.  Hell,
I almost came in my jeans when I saw Live '76 in a store in Belgium!
Hadn't seen it in the US at the time, and I was salivating like a
rabid Great Dane.  This release coinciding with Wheeze fest reminds
me of the one that accompanied Operation Rock and Roll, exc. that
those were all new tunes.

Another example of questionable performance times occurred during the
Southern Spirit tour a few years back, wherin 38 Special, by far the
most visible of any of the bands, played before Marshall Tucker
headlined the show.  The crowd loved it, though...
theo