Imaginos remakes and outtakes

Alex S. Garcia 101612.172 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Feb 15 22:05:02 EST 1996

>>>        However, my friends and I used to have a running joke about
>>>"proper rock intonation" as appears in this song.  (Tox, if he still lurks
>>>on this list, may recall it).
>>>        With thunderous riffing behind him, Eric sings:
>>>        "My boat left New Orleans ..." (he builds to the lyrical
>>>climax ...)
>>>        "... IN 1829!!"
>>>
>>>        Woah! we all think.  Rockin'!
>>
>>Oh YEAH ! let's rock...
>>
>>>        Then: Wait? "My boat left New Orleans in 1829?"  What the _hell_
>>>are we doing head-banging to that?  What's going on here?  Why should
>>>we care?  ;)
>>
>>Does sound kind of stupid if you take it out of context. You got a point
there.

>>>        But still, you've got to admit, that even when you sing something
>>>completely bizarre like that with the appropriate phrasing and with the
>>>appropriate instrumental arrangement it _does_ get the old adrenilin
>>>pumping! :)
>>
>>True enough. In fact, that precise excerpt of the song is probably
>>the part of it I like the most  :-)
>>
>>Thanks for sharing that one with us.
>

>What and would you rather BOC's lyrics consisted of the usual "yeah, yeah
>baby" type? Or perhaps the angry-young-man bit that is so popular these
>days? Lyrics have always been one of BOC's strong points, IMO.. In Imaginos,
>a story is being told.. Part of the story is set in the 1800's.. I don't
>understand your objection to the lyric.

I agree that BOC's lyrics have always been one of the band's strong points,
but what we were discussing here was taking a sentence out of context.
Think about it : "My boat left New Orleans in 1829". If you take just that
line, without taking notice of what's around, of the rest of the storyline,
well...
really, who cares that the boat left New Orleans in 1829 ? I think that
the "morale" behind this is just that you can give so much power to
an apparently meaningless phrase just by using the "proper rock
intonation"...
    So you see, there was no objection intended there, just a try at
analyzing what made the strength of the song (talking about giving
in-depth explanations ;)... or at least, that's how I understood Carl's
words - even if they were in the form of a joke :-)

Alex.