Faq observations.

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Mon Dec 4 14:58:21 EST 1995

I was finally able to access the BOC faq. last Friday.  First off,
it's an impressive effort, damn near encyclopedic.  I'm not sure I
waded through everything, though.  Can anyone tell me if there's an
in-depth look at BOC's gtrs, amps etc. as they've evolved (gear, not
the band) through the years.  As you know, I'm pretty well up on this
stuff.  If it isn't on the faq, is there any interest in having it
added?  If so, who shuld I contact?

The faq had an interesting story about the term 'stun-guitar.'  Faq
says that it had to do with Eric's use of fuzz distortion on the
early records.  I distinctly remember an interview about 20 years ago
where Eric said it was a reference to the original 'Star Trek' TV
show.  He said that the weekly airing of the show was a great event,
with people in his college (nearby Hobart) reminding each other 'It's
On!'  Anyway, he said his college pals used to drop acid and groove
on watching 'Star Trek,' and that calling his guitar playing 'Stun-
Guitar' was a valentine to the TV show, when Kirk would advise crew
members to 'set their phaser on stun.'  Is anyone out there familiar
with this article?  It would probably have been in 'Creem' magazine.

Also, the Faq had a piece about Conry's bar and its significance in
the song 'Before the Kiss...'  The Faq says that the song was
inspired by the sight of a couple exchanging reds while kissing.  But
I remember another ancient BOC magazine article that quotes, I
believe Sandy Pearlman, saying that he encountered a biker at Conry's
who stuck his tongue out at Pearlman, with a red on it, inviting him
to be kissed thus!  The same article also quotes Eric as saying that
he was tripping once at Conry's and the gin did, indeed, 'glow in the
dark.'  This article also would likely have been in 'Creem.'  BOC was
always too hip and too heavy to be covered in Rolling Stone, and I
doubt that such frankness would have passed the editorial muster
there anyway.  Anyone familiar with either of these references?
theo