[boc-l] Squid Ain't Kid (just not Syd?)

Christian Eric Mumford royalistradio at hotmail.com
Thu May 5 14:53:24 EDT 2016

Edward Ka-Spel of The Legendary Pink Dots and i correspond occasionally by email and FB and he mentioned the new MOJO has a big Syd Barrett special.. i wrote back...:

 got issues with Floyd as well as The Doors. The direction PF took
around right after the biggie DSOTM was just an inflatible Valium
experiment... lots of dross albums like WYWH, AHM, Animals.. they
basically used Syd as an effigy
for DSOTM or The Wall... like oh yeah shine on bro and all they did was
betray or capitalize on his "crazy ness".

Morrison was saner, or Syd was saner ... hmm.. i like to think Syd was a
 spur of the moment "all the aces" where as Jim was more moody or
brooding, fancying himself as Dionysis or whatever. Syd's madcapness was
 all out punk like Sex Pistols.. the way Jim ACTED
was like punk. I just revisited some of the mid period Doors albums, as
all i have on my iPod for a decade was the first album and LA Woman.
Those two are slick and solid true shit all the way. Having listened to
Strange Days its like a lo fi sequel to The
Doors ST album, and Waiting For The Sun a slight return there too...
Morrison Hotel suffers from super lo fi production, Soft Parade is kinda
 "krunk" lets do it big.

Piper and Saucerful will always tower above any PF album since. As
Waters/Guilmore is a whole different eh Animal than Syd being some kind
of LSD sorcerer of Punk. I love Meddle and Obscured By Clouds and like
More, DSOTM, bits of Ummagumma are cool.. but have
no relation to The Wall or Animals other than being bombarded with the
The Wall movie posters all over Oslo when i was 10! Its all "money its a
 drag" thing "hey teacher leave us kids alone" plod plod riff riff rawk.
 Catchy and calculated madness from a band
that got too big.

Christian "anal-yst" "lite on fyre"