OFF: New Frond (was: Re: OFF: Public Service Announcement?)

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at CORIOLIS.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Sun Jun 23 13:17:18 EDT 2013

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, Paul Mather wrote:

 	<snip>

> Double yikes!  I just discovered that The Bevis Frond released an album
> after _Hit Squad_ that I don't have!  Where can I get ahold of this?  I
> thought Woronzow Records had folded?????

 	This mail has been sitting in my INBOX for so long that now
there's *another* new Frond album out. But I didn't actually see anyone
answer the question, so, as I understand it, it's like this:

(1) Woronzow ceased operations as a full-scale label because the taxman
had them under investigation and because Nick had family problems that
required his attention (his mother was ill). This isn't private
knowledge, I hope, I'm fairly sure this was in an interview with Nick
online somewhere.

(2) It still exists as a company, though, so presumably the taxman was
satisfied and Nick still releases his stuff through it.

(3) You can buy these things, and also digital and sometimes physical
copies of *all other Frond stuff*, via their site at Bandcamp:
http://bevisfrond.bandcamp.com/
though the very newest one doesn't yet seem to be there.

(4) _The Leaving of London_ has some very lovely stuff on it, I like it
better than _Hit Squad_ but it does seem to be the second half of the
album before my ears really prick up to it. The second half is as sharply
worded and musically beautiful as the Bevis Frond ever gets, though,
albeit not as jammed-out and psychedelic (but see 6 below).

(5) I found out about that album the same way I found out about the new
one, _White Numbers_, which is not a way I ever expected to hear about
Frond albums: a friend of mine who reads Mojo texted me about the album
because Mojo had reviewed it and he knew I'd care. Mojo review the Bevis
Frond? What? etc.

(6) The new one, which presumably Mojo had in advance, is apparently a 2CD
with one 42-minute improvised track called `Traditional Home-Made Electric
Jam'. Since `House of Mountains' is nearly my favourite Bevis Frond track,
I'm looking forward to this. Amazon's product description gives us more
detail:

 	"The Bevis Frond's 21st album. 'White Numbers' is the logical
successor to 2011's 'The Leaving Of London', not simply in that it's the
next album, but because it follows on in the style of great songs played
well in an esoteric, but totally musical panoply of styles. If there was
one complaint about the last record, it was that there were not enough of
the Frond's signature guitar wig-outs. Woronzow is therefore happy to
inform one and all that this aberration has been well and truly rectified
with the inclusion of a 42 minute instrumental. Eschewing the 'less is
more' theory, 'White Numbers' comes as a double CD and triple vinyl
release, containing 24 new titles."

Yes, I have been known to make that kind of complaint, I am very very
happy to have this problem addressed...

(7) I haven't managed to make it to the last few years' gigs because until
recently they've been advertised on Yahoo Groups and Facebook and not
elsewhere. But this was a good time to look up the website as I find there
that they are playing London's 100 Club on July 13th! So the fates are
with me. I will hope to buy a copy of the new album!

That concludes this answer to a question from ten months ago, yours,
 								     Jon

ObCD: Ici Maintenants - _Space and Time_, which I can't play without
recalling that I bought it from Trev, may he not be forgotten.
--
   Jonathan Jarrett       "There is scarce any tradition or popular error
Medievalist historian    but stands also delivered by some good author."