TMTYL

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 20 15:53:37 EDT 2008

Carl says:
>there is very little in the mix to distract you from the fact that
>they are a very loud 3-piece rock'n'roll band.  And, as I believe the
>Lemmster has pointed out, so are (or should be) Hawkwind, just with
>some extra Dr. Who noises tacked on top of it all.  Listening to
>recent HW studio output, however, one could be forgiven for missing
>this basic functional similarity.

I remember seeing them as a 3 piece on the Palace Springs tour and how surprised I was at the time to hear what they sounded like without the "icing", whether it be lead guitar, synth*, axe (literally), honking sax, or what have you...  Bottom line - pretty damn good!  Some songs were affected more than others of course.  Levitation really sounded stripped down, Hassan I Sabha was hardly affected at all.  :)

Steve

* they weren't entirely without synths - they either played or sequenced Golden Void for example...