[Up-Tight] The BBC throws open its music vaults to EMI

Jill Strobridge jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Sat Jun 14 07:32:58 EDT 2008

Yes - I take your point - Maida Vale may be a more likely candidate.  And
having searched through my bookcase I even appear to have kept my notes
<yes, it worries me as well!>     On a piece of paper dated Friday 20th
November 1998 I have scrawled the following:

Bee Gees
1971 Aug 7 - Bee Gees reform and release ballad "How Can You Mend a Broken
Heart"
1972 Feb - Appear on ITV "The Golden Shot"
       Feb - "My World" success in US (and UK from 29 Jan 1972 was in the
charts for 9 weeks)
        July/Aug - "Run To Me" reaches UK #9 (in charts from 22 July for 10
weeks)
        Sept - March 1973 Chart successes in US
1973 June 24 - performance at London Palladium
--------------------------------------
Hawkwind
1972 Feb - Greasy Truckers Party
        <July 23 - gig at London Rainbow>
        July/Aug - Silver Machine rising in the charts  (in charts from 1st
July for 15 weeks)
        Dec - Doremi reaches #14
                Space Ritual tour
Mary Wells
1972 July 8 - "My Guy" reissue starts a 10 week chart run reaching #14
Mary Kelly - no reference found
--------------------------------------
The Pretty Things
1971 Nov - Group reformed after a split in June
1972 - ???
1973 - toured US
------------------------------
Wings
1972 Feb - Band tours colleges
1972 June - "Mary Had a Little Lamb" reaches #9
        July 9 - formal debut at Chateauvillon, France
(late) July ?22 - Arrested in Sweden during tour and again (Sept) in
Scotland
1973 Jan - "Hi Hi Hi" banned by BBC
I assume all the above feature on the record and, if so, a re-reading
suggests that Dunstable 7th July 1972 is actually much too early.
Apparently the Brian Matthews recording has frozen a snapshot of these
artists at a moment of particular significance in their careers and that
moment appears to be right at the end of July when all of them* would have
been (just for that short time) headlines in the music world.  And if you
check Starfarers excellent gig list you will discover Hawkwind played at the
Rainbow in London on 23rd July - a Beeb executive may well have seen them
there and decided to get them recorded.   So recording a show at Maida Vale
on 2nd August would make excellent sense.  In fact the gig list suggests
Hawkwind came back from Hastings to do the show and then returned to
Hastings the following night.  Hectic!

 *though I've no idea what The Pretty Things were doing at that date!
jill

Jill Strobridge <jill.strobridge at blueyonder.co.uk>