OFF: reference in cool Onion article

Mon Mar 12 11:53:38 EDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 11:43:59PM -0000, Jill Strobridge typed out:
> How come Wales gets to hide all these arcane lost rock-riff wonders?
> Wasn't the "recently-discovered-lost Jimmy-Hendrix-tape" <tongue firmly in
> cheek> a version of the Welsh National Anthem?    I mean I know Merlin
> nicked the Stonehenge Bluestones from there (at least I don't think he paid
> for them - somehow you get the impression that's not how magicians
> generally conduct their activities) and they've been the focus of a
> festival of some kind or another ever since but I was unaware that Wales
> was also the repository for vaults of ancient rock music.   Although if
> it's all stored in the mines the bluestones were taken from......   Now
> there would be a Thing.   The Music of the Stones.

	I wonder what you would get if you took some kind of reading of
the stones, an ultrasonic one of their composition maybe or a microwave
radar one of their surfaces, and somehow mapped it to sound output.
Actually, no I don't; I wonder how many years behind I am the first
person to think of this and how much Googling I'd have to do to find out
where it's on sale (at which point, I hasten to add, I would shake my
head wryly and close the browser window). Yours,
						 Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk