BOC: possible Bonus Track lineup for Spectres

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Jan 23 18:13:10 EST 2007

On 22 Jan 2007, at 7:04 PM, Stephen Swann wrote:

> Soooooooo glad that Spectres is finally getting the remaster
> treatment.  It's one of my favorite/most listened to albums,
> but the CD sounded like it was mastered under several feet of
> sand, using two tin cans connected with a string!

I read an article recently that complained about the dire quality of
contemporary mastered CDs.  Mastering engineers put the blame on
record companies (and even artists) pressuring them into mastering
CDs to sound "loud."  Basically, this meant destroying the dynamics
of the original recording and compressing it severely to raise the
levels.  Not only did this ruin the sound quality, but it also ruined
the listening experience by making the recording very tiring on the
ears.

Hopefully, Spectres won't get such treatment.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

         --- Frank Vincent Zappa