HW: Re-Remastering the Back Catalog

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Apr 24 06:16:52 EDT 2007

On 24/04/2007 10:45, Filip Vanhuyse wrote:
> They probably will use the same remasterring they did last time in 1996.
> And that so called better 5.1 ?
> Really fantastic if you like looking to a guitarplayer who plays on the
> rightcorner of the screen and hear him somewhere behind you left
> upstares.Or the singer who sings in front of you but jump from behind
> you from the rear speakers.What will they come up next??

Well, the results of 5.1 are _really_ very much in the hands of the guy
doing the mixing.  It's his choice, after all, whether to put the singer
in front of you or behind you ;)   Probably many engineers don't have
much experience mixing for 5.1 yet, so there have probably been some
very odd results up to now.  But I did hear a little of the 5.1 mix from
the recent _Grateful Dead_ movie DVDs (I don't have 5.1, so this was on
someone else's system) and it seemed to be to have been _very_ well
done: not at all jarring or unnatural, but very _surrounding_.  But then
again, the guys working audio for the GD family tend to be insanely
good, and it's easy to imagine other engineers with less experience
going, perhaps, a bit nuts with the toys ....

I guess Space Ritual for 5.1 could go either way! Though since there's
no video providing a visual reference, being surrounded by swirling
walls of Hawkwind might be less jarring in any case.  How many tracks
was the source originally recorded on?  Anyone know?  16 tracks?  8?

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson