Northampton gig

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Oct 25 07:06:26 EDT 2006

On 25/10/2006 11:52, Wright, Mike wrote:
> I got there at 8:25 and managed to see 15 mins of Lastwind, was was
> good. It was Paul Hayles on 2 keyboards, and backing tapes I gues, with
> a very fine guitarist doing blanga crossed with the odd wailing bit.
> Brock meets hillage. Very tasty amd I would like to buy some of their
> stuff. I guess the website http://www.lastwindmusic.com/ is not
> representative of this gig, as it is more soundtrack stuff, but if they
> were to record what they are doing live I would happily pay for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Lastwind is like.  I've heard the
stuff on MySpace, but (obviously) not the live thing.

> The band all had laptops, so they could see what was happening, but only
> Jason had keyboards. I think both Dave and Alan had boxes to press for
> sounds, but no actual keyboards. This was good as we got Dave doing
> guitar all night, and the world was a better place for that.

Amen.

> His effects
> were on a table, so he could see what was going on, although I think all
> his effects were in one box raqther than lots of different pedals.

Dave was using a Line6 PodXT, last I heard.  Lots of "proper guitarists"
with "proper valve" amps despise that sort of thing, but it's a handy
little box.  I do all my home-recording with amp models anyway, and saw
Line6 had recently released a plug-in versions of their models as VST
and AudioUnit.  The latter _should_ work like a charm just dropped into
GarageBand, so I might have to give that a go if I can scrape up the cash!

> Encore: buggered if I can remember the first one, but they finished with
> Motorhead, the sound of Alan's bass in the intro was awe inspiring.

Woah, awesome!  Now there's something I wouldn't have expected to hear!

Alan does get a great sound; when I saw Bedouin up close and personal in
the '90s, he was using a little Fender-looking thing -- might have been
a guitar amp, for all I know -- and cranked all the way open!  Always
played on the neck pickup as far as I can tell (in contrast to Lemmy,
who seems to always play on the bridge pup).

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson