Mountain Grill

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Tue Feb 22 20:37:17 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:31:33PM +0000, Jon Jarrett wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Henderson Keith wrote:
> > If you take a (surface) train into Victoria station from the south (or vice
> > versa), you'll go right past the old Battersea power station (unless it's
> > fallen over already), which is famous from the Pink Floyd Animals cover art,
> > among other things I imagine.  I remember my first time on this rail line,
> > being half asleep and finally waking up to see this oddly familiar thing
> > filling the whole window of the train car...I had to blink and rub my eyes
> > for a minute to make sure I wasn't still dreaming.

Heh.  I had a similar experience, coming into London for my first
time, very early in the morning on the overnight train from
Frankfurt via the Oostende/Folkestone ferry.  I had no idea of
the geography of the place, but happened to see a graffito --
DOGS OWN HOME BATTERSEA.  No clue what that meant, but "Cool, the
power station's gotta be around here someplace!" I thought, and
started looking eagerly around for it.  Sure enough, there it
was.  No pig, but still...

Good omen, as it turned out, as HW just happened to be starting
their Winter '84 tour that week, so I got to see them my first
two times!

I even got to see the pig a few years later, flying above the CNE
Stadium here in Toronto, when Pink Floyd brought it over on tour
with them :-)

> Wreck of a place [...]

Well they're fixing it up now, looks like.  And even a few years
ago (end of 2000, I think), Cirque du Soleil had taken up
residence.

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent; that's why so
many cults and myths of the serpent exist, because it's hard to
represent the return of the sun by the coiling of a hippopotamus.
        - Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"