Mountain Grill

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Fri Feb 18 08:12:13 EST 2005

PF asked...

>BTW, where the Mountain Grill is?

275 Portobello Rd., Ladbroke Grove.  Just next to the A40 overpass (under
which HW used to play, I believe)...there's often a little flea market there
on weekends (at least in summer), it seems.  Look for the inevitable Che
Guevara posters (or Che Guava, as he is now known as, according to the
Onion). :) Of course, this area is teeming with such markets, for antiques,
imported foods and stuff...and well, just general second-hand crap of all
sorts.

The place has changed names on occasion...it was George's Fish Bar when I
first stopped by in 1986.  I think it's still called "George's" but now also
uses the Mountain Grill in the name again.  ??  But don't expect too
much...it's not much of a historical landmark (though it should be).  Very
small, kinda rundown (unless somebody's put some money into it) and not
exactly fine dining.  :)

Update:  A quick websearch tells me the following...it's no longer George's,
but now rather Babes 'n' Burgers...what a peculiar name.  Oh well, perhaps
Stacia is the inspiration for the 'babe' part.  :)
http://www.babesnburgers.com/

There's a Ladbroke Grove tube station, so you can get close to the area
easily by just taking the underground to it.  Walk east on Lancaster Road to
reach Portobello.

Does anybody know where the school playground with the jungle gym is? (from
the photo collage of the band on the insert record sleeve)...I've expected
to run into it (the playground, not necessarily the jungle gym itself, which
has probably rusted away to nothing by now) while walking around the LG
area, but not so far.

>There are some place I can't avoid to visit (musically speaking)?

If you take a (surface) train into Victoria station from the south (or vice
versa), you'll go right past the old Battersea power station (unless it's
fallen over already), which is famous from the Pink Floyd Animals cover art,
among other things I imagine.  I remember my first time on this rail line,
being half asleep and finally waking up to see this oddly familiar thing
filling the whole window of the train car...I had to blink and rub my eyes
for a minute to make sure I wasn't still dreaming.

Have fun...Grakkl (FAA)