OFF: Outskirts of Infinity & The Bevis Frond @ The Standard, Walthamstow, 10th October 2004

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Thu Nov 18 15:58:23 EST 2004

Paul Mather wrote:

>> Oddly enough, there's a review of Hit Squad floating around from
>> Aquarius Records in San Francisco that described it, at its best, as
>> sounding like bad Monster Magnet and at it's worst imitating Lenny
>> Kravtiz!
>
> Do you mean _Hit Squad_ or _Fed To Your Head_?

It was definitely for Hit Squad. I suppose it's possible they had read
the Fed to Your Head review at some point and absorbed the Lenny
Kravitz comparison.

> Interesting!  The "basically went in and recorded it live" would imply
> the bulk of the guitar work is Paul's, not Nick's.

If that's the case, it's nice to see a "name" guitarist without the ego
to insist he hog all the playing time.

>> I'd love to see Scorched Earth become more than a one-off band, [...]
>
> I really like the Scorched Earth album, but I'd have to say I'd be a
> bit
> uncomfortable with Nick putting out *another* pastiche album in the
> same
> genre.  I think once is enough.

I just miss the aspect of the Bevis Frond that Scorched Earth
represents. I'd be satisfied with a cousin of  "Long Black Gown" on the
next Frond album.

In related news, on the Bevis Frond mailing list there has been
discussion about how Nick has been neglecting the long, freakout jams
of earlier albums for his three-minute pop song alter-ego. Nick agreed
and assembled a CD of unreleased epics called "The Long Stuff" as a
community-only release. I've wondered if "Through the Hedge" on Hit
Squad wasn't inspired somewhat by the discussion. Still, even though I
think it's an amazing song, it's not quite in the same vein as
"Superseeder" or "Long Black Gown."

Brian

---
Brian Halligan