OFF: Email list vs. web forum (was Re: Hawkwind Mind Journey)

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Aug 4 10:10:19 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 09:33, Arin Komins wrote:

> (although I hear mutt might have a decent threading interface for email,
> so I should probably investigate that first ;-) )

I can verify from personal experience that mutt's threading interface is
good.  I tend to use Evolution nowadays, and it also does threading for
e-mail.

(As an aside, I love Evolution's virtual folder [VFolder] feature.  For
example, it's easy to make a VFolder [logical folder] for "all unread
BOC-L mail in my incoming mail," or "all mail in all my subscribed-to
*BSD mailing lists," etc. and then utilise those mail folders like they
were regular folders.  VFolders differ from regular filters in that
messages aren't routed physically to destination folders but appear only
"virtually" in those virtual folders [and can appear in many VFolders
depending upon criteria].  Deleting, or otherwise acting upon, a message
in a VFolder will also delete [act upon] the message being pointed to,
supporting the illusion that VFolders are just like regular folders.)

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa