HW RE: off into dodgy vinyl ness

Mike Montfort mikemont at NYCAP.RR.COM
Tue Apr 27 17:01:11 EDT 2004

Picture discs, as different from "colored" vinyl, were made from a softer
vinyl (introductions of different colors so as to make up a picture on the
disc would not have been possible with "regular" Vinyl) and would actually
be degraded by the simple fact of playing the LP.  All the Pic Discs I have
been played ONCE and while transferring them to cassette so I could listen
to the actual music.

Recycled Vinyl was from other sources, not Records.  The impurity level from
the Recycling process allowed for clicks to be inherent in a "perfect"
pressing.  Also this Vinyl also degraded quicker than Virgin Vinyl over the
same number of playings.  As a short cut the record industry also made
thinner and thinner records so as to save money.  Both these factors led to
the warping and degrading of Vinyl that was mass produced.

Virgin Vinyl was just as stated. Not recycled but original processed vinyl.
Audiophiles preferred this type of vinyl because the impurities from the
Recycling process would not be found and the likelihood of bad pressings
decreased dramatically.  Also the companies that used this seemed to care
more for the audiophile and pressed thicker records.

Can you tell I used to collect this stuff?  I have over 1000 albums in a
cool closet so to reduce warping etc.

Take care.

Michael Corwyn Montfort, esq.

http://corwyn.blogspot.com
the blog
http://www.mikemontfort.com
the website
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly
submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously
uses his intelligence.
-- Albert Einstein