OFF: Great Bassists (was100 Greatest Guitarists)

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 13 04:01:40 EDT 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:24:08 EDT, RMayo19761 at AOL.COM wrote:

>Algy Ward

Hmmm... only know his work with The Damned, but it's strongly rumoured that
much of the bass on their recorded works while he was in the band was
actually played by Sensible. The Capt. himself stops short of saying that
but had this to say in an interview...

[B] Machine gun etiquette, I've heard stories that all the bass playing on
that was played by you. Is that True?
[C] Well Algy had this thing about whisky. Algy's a lovely bloke but he
could get quite aggressive. If the bloke from the record company (Roger
Armstrong), who was also producing the album with us didn't get the bevies
in Algy would get extremely agitated and would smash things. So you had to
get him a bottle of whisky to keep him quiet. He would drink half the
bottle and then would be good for about half an hours bass playing.
Anything he did after that would be completely out to lunch unfortunately.
So I would have to repair bits and bobs, yeah. He knew all the songs he
just couldn't handle the liquor.

... an interview which can be found in full at

http://freeradicalsounds.com/captain/sensible.htm

complete with eccentric opinions on everything including the Spice Girls (!)

Nick