HW: Rock City

Neil Shilladay neil.shilladay at MICROLISE.COM
Tue May 20 03:20:44 EDT 2003

I'll just add my thoughts to Mark's.
First off - an absolute blinder of a gig. I was stood behind the sound
desk, and Simon's violin sounded fine for 90% of the gig. Everyone else
sounded fine, with Dave's guitar to the fore, but not swamping the sound.
As Mark said, the setlist was pretty much the same. The new rocker that
Jon refered to in his Cambridge review started off sounding like a Ron
Tree number - very heavy bass.

Highs -
7x7, which does throw you with a new sound at first, but rocks hard and
well.
Spirit of the Age - yes, the visuals are worth it in this number.
Steppenwolf - I love the way Arthur sang this. He had his notes, but
didn't seem to need them. I'd like to think Bob's spirit smiled at this.
Ass & batt / Golden Void - all time classic songs, played beautifully.

Lows-
Chronoglide - I didn't care for the techno backing to this.
Arthur messing up Silver Machine lyrics.

Overall - Ozrics played a loong and very well received support, almost a
double headliner. I really enjoyed them, although I did see Night of the
Hawks on the sound man's list that never made it (maybe this was due to
Ozrics overunning, for which they did apologise).
The Hawks were on fine form tonight, and seemed to really enjoy it. Dave
ribbed the crowd for being quiet, and introduced Simon who would play some
Paganni (sp?).  The band played tight and reminded me why I love their
music so much.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, but hey I had a *good* time
last night !

If the guy who was  dressed as Gandalf (complete with real grey beard) is
on the list - great costume man !

Cheers
Neil.

Mark Storer <mjec.storer at NTLWORLD.COM>
Sent by: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
20/05/2003 01:10
Please respond to BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List