OFF: Adventures in "H Misc"

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Fri Mar 7 14:11:17 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:54:36PM -0500, Andrew Apold wrote:
> I always look
> for [HW] in record stores and like to rearrange the display to
> put the hawks in front of whoever else is in the "H" section.
> I wonder if this is a common habit,

Never occurred to me.  I confess, I've actually been known to do
the opposite -- misfile something so it won't get scooped before
I've had a chance to check whether I already have it.

When I first discovered HW (1977), one of the things I kept
seeing in "H Misc" was Annie Haslam's "Annie in Wonderland".  The
number of $4.99 copies of that I passed up!  Cool Alice-esque
cover, but I'd never heard of her, and I was a man on a
mission...

Then, in the mid-80s, someone dragged me out to a Renaissance
concert.

Of course by that time, "Wonderland" was long gone from the
delete bins.  I searched and searched, and finally ended up
paying a fortune for a copy.  And hated it!  *sigh*

I fared rather better with the Alex Harvey Band.  I once
mentioned their live album rather dismissively to a friend, as in
"Alex who?"  He surprised me by saying it was good and I should
check it out.  A couple of years ago I finally got around to it,
having tripped across yet another copy (now on CD).  In fact it's
not bad.  It'll never be a fave, but I throw it on occasionally.

And don't even talk to me about Hanson!

Interesting that the second letter of all of those is "a".  I
guess I can filter out the rest without even consciously noticing
them, but the "Ha..." pattern I have to look at a bit more
closely :-)

So ... can anyone comment on the Keef Hartley Band's "Battle of
North West Six"?

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
A distributed system is one on which I cannot get any work done,
because a machine I have never heard of has crashed.
        - Leslie Lamport