About this Huw DVD

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Oct 22 11:45:12 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:26:47AM +0930, Michael Blackman wrote:
=> Seems ALL new video players and dvd's in australia are standard with both
=> NTSC AND PAL play back and multizone players are available.
=>
=> you'd think that a country like umerika would have this as well supposedly
=> being the best of the best of the best and better than the rest.

I think the situation is the same in the USA, but I can't comment from
personal experience as I don't own a DVD player.  But, of people I
know who have them, their DVD players seem to support both PAL and
NTSC (changeable via a menu option), and there are lots of firmware
hacks available that can disable/set the region of the player (not an
issue with the Huw DVD as it is mastered to be region-free).

The point I was trying to make is that I think the stated PAL
requirement is a red herring, as any half-decent DVD playback system
ought to be able to do the resolution/frame rate conversion on the fly
to play on any type of TV.  I would hate to think that someone would
eschew buying the Huw DVD just because they thought, "but my TV is
NTSC, not PAL, so it won't play..."

I could well be wrong, though.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

Linux is for people who hate Windows.  BSD is for people who love Unix.