OFF: Lots of touring...Heavy man...

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu May 9 20:06:29 EDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002 15:51:39 -0400, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>Doug P's...
>>I believe that Speedealer are a local band (I've never seen 'em) ... if
>>so, they were originally named "REO Speedealer" until they were
>>threatened with a lawsuit ...
>
>By the (soon to be defunct) R.E. Oldsmobile (aka GM)?  Or the
>Champaign-Urbana Five?
>
>And I'd heard of them, as REO S., thought it was strange to have another
>band with almost the same name.

Erm, yeah, they got sued (or threatened with it) by the band, not the
automaker ...

>>http://www.pdfworld.co.jp/tyson/4004.htm
>>http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/4004lk.htm
>>http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_ric.htm (about halfway down)
>
>I guess I wasn't paying too much attention....I suppose that's it, but
>didn't realize it was carved like that.  To me it seemed shiny, smooth deep
>red/burgundy, but maybe that was just the lights playing tricks on me.  And
>I never did get that close to the stage to get a good look.

Yes, stage lights will make a big difference ('Space Ritual' cover photos
are proof of this, regarding Lemmy's bass!).  The carved top looks very
cool, I can't wait to see what that looks like in-the-flesh (in-the-
wood?).  My only complaint is that I don't like gold hardware on musical
instruments.  Make mine chrome/nickel/stainless-steel.

>>And, yes, as I've promised, I'll post photos of mine if/when it ever
>>arrives ...
>
>How did you get to be one of only 60 to get one?  Was it first-come,
>first-served, or was there a lottery?  Or are they *really* steep?!  And
>then, how could you afford it?  :)

Actually, the edition was originally 50, announced in late December 2000.
It took about 3 months for the edition to sell out via dealer advance
orders (I just called up one of the best-known Rickenbacker dealers in the
USA, asked him to get one for me, and gave him my credit card# for the 20%
deposit ... I also asked him to try to get my a specific number of the
edition; any Hawkwind fan ought to be able to figure out what number
[obviously between 1 and 50] that is, although you DO have to do the
math).  So during that window of opportunity (jan-mar '01), anyone who
could put down a depost could order one.  Things got complicated in march
or april, when Rickenbacker "fired" one of their dealers, and invalidated
all advance orders that dealer had taken.  Obviously, people who had
ordered a 4004LK bass through that dealer were rather upset, so
Rickenbacker added 10 more basses to the limited edition for their benefit.

As for the price, it's a bit less than I paid for my 1968 Rickenbacker
bass, and considerably less than the Wiard modular or Alesis Andromeda
(both analog synths).

>>>---------------------------------------------------------
>>>PRIMORDIAL UNDERMIND
>>>(cool guitar-psych rock band now with Tom Carter from Mike Gunn)
>>
>>The other band in this tour is the Davis Redford Triad, psychedelic rock
>>of a somewhat more experimental variety than the 'Undermind, led by Faust
>>guitarist Steven Wray Lobdell.
>
>What label are these guys on?  Are they Portland-based, as Lodbell is (I
>think)? Lotta good music up there it seems.

The band members are mostly from Portland, yes (I think the Thereminist now
lives on the east coast), and they're on Holy Mountain (disclaimer: run by
a friend of mine).  Check out the review I wrote for A-I of Steve's solo
album on that label:
http://www.aural-innovations.com/issues/issue14/lobdell.html
The same label also just reissued the first Davis Redford Triad album on CD
(a much better mix than the LP).  Good stuff ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com