HW: Damned by the curse of Damned

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Sun Jan 20 16:16:06 EST 2002

In message <200201202018.PAA13082 at listserv.spc.edu>, Doug
Pearson <jasret at MINDSPRING.COM> writes
>Ooh!  Ooh!  I wanna play, too!  (Just as you feared ...)

Oh g'wan then...

>Since most of the easier ones were already gotten ...

Well, the Therapy? link still awaits uncovering...

>>>D. Men from the Boys
>>>
>>>10. Tangerine Dream (to get the point you need *two* independent
>>>connections)
>
>1)
>* Dave Anderson was in Amon Duül II before being in Hawkwind
>* Renate Knaup was Amon Duül II's lead singer, and later sang for Popol Vuh
>* Florian Fricke of Popol Vuh played on TD's 'Zeit' album (and, I believe,
>sold his Moog modular to TD when Popol Vuh "went acoustic")
>
>2)
>* Brian Eno produced and/or played on Calvert's 'Capt. Lockheed' & 'Lucky
>Leif' (and Paul Rudolph played on several of his solo albums)
>* Brian Eno recorded two albums with Cluster
>* Conrad Schnitzler played on the first two Cluster (as 'Kluster') albums
>* Conrad Schnitzler played on the first Tangerine Dream album

So that gives us 3. And what's more I have another: Klaus Schulze was
in the original TD, and later in Ash Ra Tempel. ART recorded an album
with Timothy Leary, who guested (via the PA from prison IIRC) at at
least one HW gig in the 70s. OK, that's *really* tenuous, I admit.

>>and for the gold star:
>>
>>Mike Oldfield- but you need at least three different ways...
>
>1)
>* Oldfield & Eno (see above) are both on the 'June 1, 1974' live album
>
>2)
>* Oldfield played in Kevin Ayers' band for several years
>* Kevin Ayers was in the Soft Machine (and, briefly, Gong) with Daevid Allen
>* Tim Blake was in Gong with Daevid Allen
>
>3)
>* Steve Broughton played drums on 'Tubular Bells'
>* Victor Unitt was one of the guitarists in the Edgar Broughton Band
>* Victor Unitt replaced Dick Taylor in the Pretty Things
>* Dick Taylor produced (and may have played on) the first Hawkwind album
>(alternatively, Steve Broughton played drums on the "Nuclear Waste" single
>with Nik Turner)

Yet another link through Steve Broughton is that he plays on the 1985
Roy Harper and Jimmy Page album "Whatever happened to Jugula", thus
opening up all the Harper links back to HW...

Anyway, sterling work there Doug. But amazingly enough none of the
above 3 Oldfield links are the ones I had in mind! I'll give you one more:
you have a link through Gong, but that one can be made more direct
because Oldfield was, unbelievably, a member of Gong very briefly- not
in the glory days, but in the post-Allen "Pierre Moerlen's Gong" jazz-
fusion era in the late 70s. But there are at least 2 other ways to link
Oldfield to HW, not involving Gong at all.
--
Nick Medford