OFF: This year's RnRHoF inductees

Tue Feb 5 19:27:22 EST 2002

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, K Henderson wrote:

> Well...
>
> The Ramones
> Talking Heads
> Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
> Isaac Hayes
> Brenda Lee
> Gene Pitney
>
> Another year, another bunch of puzzling names.  Not that I can't see that
> one or two of these artists were 'important' or anything (I even *own*
> albums by Talking Heads, which certainly makes *them* important) :)
>
> Who the *hell* is Gene Pitney?  Brenda Lee I don't know from Eve either.
> And Isaac Hayes - the guy who did Shaft?  Is there something else about
> Isaac Hayes that I just don't know about?  Granted, I don't know *anything*
> about him *except* that.

        I think the important thing there is that Isaac hayes voices Chef
in South Park, which may have an awful lot to do with any renewed
recogition of his work that may be going on (not that I've seen any hype
beyond a best of advert that could have been anybody's). By such tricky
means can rock'n'roll fame be achieved... Yours,
                                                 Jon

--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)