HW: Mission Control Website

David Blair drb.serendipity at DSL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Aug 28 15:59:54 EDT 2002

In article <200208281942.PAA02963 at listserv.spc.edu>, Rik Rx <hw at CY-
B.ORG> writes
>Hi Dave you make a few good points, however your notes are based on EXISTING
>pages, not the yet to be unleashed site....

Yup

>Each new encarnation of browser brings probs, such as our great friends at
>Micro$oft not including the Java Engine in their shiny new browser. Do we
>assume people (such as those on a 28.8k dialup) will bother to do the 6mb
>Java engine download just to see one of our applets? Or take all Java off
>the site so that nobody gets it? Trikky decisions need to be made 4 sure.

Or make it like on some sites with flash intro pages - a 'skip
intro/effects' button? (Not just for those who haven't got Java, or who
have it but have disabled it - any effect can get tiring and/or annoying
with enough repetition)

>That's why the newie is taking ages.. it's hard to create "something for
>everyone" when everyone has very different needs. This is easy when we
>create commercial sites that are targetted at a very different sector, but
>the brief for the HW site is to reflect the rich visual environment that HW
>demands by default.
>
>The fades are trikky - some like, some don't - and it's not JavaScript as
>someone claimed, but a IE only METAtag transition. Maybe we should have a
>democratic referenum ?
>
>Rx

Good idea - but where? A poll on the site might yield better (Or at
least more) results than a poll here - if anyone can find it ;o)
--
David Blair