BOC: I have never been *true* Blue Oyster Cult fan!

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Aug 2 16:08:07 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:43:42 +0100, Tim Hall <kalyr at CLARA.CO.UK> wrote:
>Amphetamine Embalmer wrote:
>
>> I also recommend
>>BOC's "Live 1976" set as an essential purchase,
>>though.
>
>That's one BOC CD I don't own - though I do have the video - does the
>CD suffer from the same sound problems as the video?

I haven't seen the video, but there are definitely some sound issues with
the live CD, especially with the bass guitar (it alternates between being a
boomy thud that dominates the mix and a tinny, near non-existent sound).
Some of the other levels fluctuate a bit too, but it's not that bad.

I like the performance so much that I once did a recitation of
Eric's "oppressive drug laws/55 mph speed limit" rap when one of my old
bands covered "Dominance and Submission" (except that I had to change "all
fourteen or fifteen thousand of you" to "all fourteen or fifteen of you").

Also, Al's synthesized/processed drum solos is one of the coolest things
I've ever heard (and ordinarily I HATE drum solos).

Also vaguely BOC-related ... last week I saw Mission of Burma's reunion
show in SF (INcredible!  Totally smoking!), with Mike Watt opening.  Watt
and his trio (organ/drums) closed the set with a great version of "The Red
and the Black" (granted, not a surprise).  The organ player had the great
Hammond sound that Allen frequently used, and since there was no guitar
player, Watt was pretty amazing at trying to play Joe's AND Buck's parts
simultaneously (they also did a fine version of Roky Erickson's "Sweet
Honey Pie") ...

(And also, on saturday, an acquaintence who's in a great band showed me his
*serious* "Tattooed Vampire" tattoo [complete with a few lyrics, the
Chronos symbol, and a bunch more BOC imagery] ... I'm gonna have to get a
photo of that sometime.)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com