Strange Daze 2001 Festival

Jerry Kranitz jkranitz at AURAL-INNOVATIONS.COM
Sun Oct 28 13:15:16 EST 2001

I just got back from the Strange Daze festival. I'm pooped and need a nap
but wanted to post some initial comments and then others can follow up.

In short... it was a FANTASTIC weekend of music! At first I was bummed that
it wasn't going to be outdoors as usual but the Beachland Ballroom in
Cleveland proved to be a great venue with a full bar and kitchen. The music
was vitually NON-STOP with bands either in the smaller tavern or the larger
concert styled ballroom. 15 bands total.

Among the highlights... Alien Planetscapes blew the audience clean away. The
last time I saw them was at Quarkstock in 2000 and at that time they were
doing a 2-piece electronic thing. But the full rockin' AP is back and better
than ever. Heavy powerful space rock with 2 guitars, bass, drums, Dr Synth,
and Carl Howard (Born to Go)joined in later to add extra swirly sounds.

Nik played a great set that mixed Hawkwind and ICU tunes, probably similar
to what he'd done the previous Sunday. Jim Collins and his son handled
guitar and keyboards (not sure who the others were) and Harvey joined later.

Heavy Liquid is a stoner rock and roll band from New Jersey that played a
rousing set of wah'd metallic psych rock. I was excited that they would be
playing and they didn't disappoint.

JFK Jr Royal Airforce was another band I was fired up to see live and they
delivered a full set of acid garage rock.

There's been a lot of Mr Quimby's Beard discussion here lately and I've got
to tell you these guys blew the crowd away. Looong songs whose space groove
you could just settle into. They did some impressive new material that has
me drooling for a new album. Nik and Harvey joined them at the end for the
Quimby song Bringin Up The Acid and finished with a rousing version of 7x7.

Sadly, Jim Lascko says the great crowd they had Friday night wasn't matched
on Saturday which makes things financially difficult. A bit of a pisser
considering that all (or certainly most) of those who came Friday were
probably Cleveland residents who came because of Nik and didn't come back
Saturday for more great bands. The endless dilemma of how the hell do you
get people to get off their asses and come out to support this stuff. It's
right there in their own town! Sigh...

I've got loads of pictures. Later on I stick them up in a private directory
at the Aural Innovations site and post a URL for everyone to go check them
out.

Jerry Kranitz