HW: Swindon

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Nov 5 20:57:11 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 01:14:31 +0000, Nick Medford <nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK>
wrote:
>In message <200111060051.TAA21242 at listserv.spc.edu>, Doug Pearson
><jasret at MINDSPRING.COM> writes
>>Even better than the '77 version on Weird 5 is the '78 version on
>>the 'Live at the Bottom Line' LP (IMO)...
>
>Hmm.. there are clearly a lot more versions than I realised, I should
>have been more circumspect in my wording! However of the ones mentioned
>that I *have* heard, the 80s versions don't quite do it for me because-
>well, no Simon House.

That makes a very big difference!  (To me, anyway.)

>And the one on Weird 5- I dunno, it might be great,
>but that's a fairly poor recording, you can actually hear the tape flutter
>during the violin intro, and it always puts me off.

It would be a disservice if I didn't mention that the sound quality of
the 'Bottom Line' LP is even worse than Weird 5, so avoid it at all costs
if you're one of the people complaining about 'Glastonbury 90' etc.

I think I've made it clear in prior posts that a great performance trumps a
poor recording every time >>for me<<, so take all future recommendations of
live recordings from me with that very important caveat!

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com