HW: Glasgow gig - pub

dave hall dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun Nov 4 12:04:58 EST 2001

The Griffin is situated at the corner of Bath St and Elmbank St. The nearest landmark is the Kings Theatre which is diagonally opposite on the other side of the junction. The Griffin is ideal for the venue (The Garage, in Sauchiehall St). To get to the Garage from the Griffin: leave the pub turn right and walk down Elmbank St. until Sauchiehall St. (40 metres walk).Turn left and walk down Sauchiehall St (100 metres) to the venue. The Garage is on the other sie of the street - you can't miss it as there is a Truck sticking out of the wall above the entrance.
For those coming by train: I would advise getting a cab from Central Station (about £3) - either that on leaving Central Station turn left and then first right (and walk up Hope St until it reaches Bath St). At Bath St turn left and walk up Bath St until reaching the Kings - the Griffin is on the other side of the street. The walk wil take you about 20 minutes - I would say grab a cab.
>From Queen Street the fastest and easiest way is to get a low level train (not the Underground) to Charing Cross, a one station journey. On arriving at Charing Cross- leave the Station turn left into Elmback Cres - walk up Elmbank Cres past the multi-storey carpark. this will take you to Elmbank St. - look left, the Griffin can be seen from here.

For Hotels I would suggest the Premier Lodge Tower - which sits above Charing Cross Station -£46 per night which is reasonable for Glasgow and the place is okay.
Travelling by car: come off the M8 at Junction 18. From the East this means coming off at the Charing X junction on the right. Then follow the slip road around to the left. This brings you onto Sauchiehall St and you will pass the venue.
>From  the west follow the slip road which curves round to the right over the motorway. At the first set of lights turn left - continue up the hill through the next set of lights. At the next junction - an odd kind of Y affair turn left. Then turn right, drive down the road until you reach Bath St. The Griffin is the next junction down on the left.
Flying? From Prestwick get the train to Central Station.
>From Glasgow Airport: get the Airport bus into Glasgow andthen a taxi - if needed. Avoid getting a taxi from the airport- it' expensive.
See you at the gig - mail me off-list if you intend coming to the Griffin.

Dave