HW: RE: calvert question

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Wed May 30 15:36:40 EDT 2001

OK, that will teach me to go from memory instead of doing some work and
actually listening to (and looking at) the releases.

>Although Lord of the Hornets and The Greenfly And The Rose were issued
>as a single (Ficknife, double A side) the versions on The Hawkwind
>Connection are very different and nowhere near as good as the single
>releases. I presume that these actually are the demo versions.

I think the Flicknife single versions of LotH and TGatR are the bonus tracks
on the Cleopatra CD reissue of Freq (and the credits on that list Lemmy as
playing bass on one of the 2 tracks). The Hawkwind Connection versions of
these 2 songs are the same as the versions on the See For Miles CD reissue
of Hype (will double-check that tonight). The 'Spirit of the P/Age' Calvert
tribute website implies that these 2 tracks appeared on the original Hype
vinyl, making them not demo or even single versions but album-release versions.

>Messenger/Solstice/Stranger/Steppenwolf sound to me to be exactly the
>same versions as appear on the Distances Between Us CD reissue -
>Messenger and Solstice are tracked as 2 separate trax on the DBU CD
>though they are a continuous piece of music and appear as 1 track here
>(presumably taken from the original vinyl).

This is completely wrong - what is called Messenger&Morpheus/Solstice on
Hawkwind Connection is just called Messengers of Morpheus (track 4) on the
Distances Between Us CD, and later on there is a completely separate piece
called Solstice (track 7). The 3 DBU tracks on Hawkwind Connection are the
only songs on DBU that have Calvert appearing on them and I still say these
are the same versions.

>> Good Girl appeared on the BrothelInRS tape and on Friends &
>> Relations pt. 1.
> I don't know about the "Brothel in Rosenstrasse" tape, but the F&R1 and
> Hawkwind Connection versions of this track are not the same.

You're right, Mike Moorcock's vocals are completely different on the 2
versions. The backing (instrumental) track sounds identical to me except
that the HC version has an additional second or so at the beginning (the
1-2-3-4 count) and ends a second or so later.

Over to you,
Stephan