HW: Camping at Canterbury - Saturday 18 August

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Jul 10 17:36:31 EDT 2001

Dunno if anyone is interested in this but I've done some checking in
various guidebooks to try and find what nearby facilities are
available as campsites for the Canterbury Mount Ephraim Gardens gig.
Sadly there isn't much.

On the OS map there's a caravan symbol at a small village called
Dunkirk (not the WW2 one).   This is only a mile or so from the gig
but since I can't find it in any of the guides I suspect that it's
for static caravans only and won't do overnight camping (i.e. tents)

The guide books have a Caravan and Camping site at Painters Forstal
Farm just outside Faversham.     It is described as a delightful
site, immaculately kept but advance booking is advisable and it
would mean a 3 or 4 mile walk to get to Mount Ephraim Gardens

There are campsites just outside Canterbury but you'll need to catch
a bus or train to get to the gig.

There's a caravan site in Graveney about 3 miles north of Mount
Ephraim but this again may be caravans only

There are 3 or 4 sites on the coast at Whitstable (about 4 miles to
the north of Mount Ephraim) but you'll probably have to walk to the
site since buses will most likely be going east to Canterbury rather
than west but it's country roads and could be quite interesting.
Also I'm sure Whitstable, being a coastal resort, will be well
stocked with taxis.

Apart from that it's B&B in Cantebury I guess.

If anyone wants addresses for these places let me know, or, if I get
a chance I'll post a list of all of them and people can take pot
luck - or whatever.

cheers
jill