Off: Re: HW:Damnation Alley film on BBC tonight

Andrew Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Mon Feb 19 21:15:41 EST 2001

At 12:56 AM 2/20/01 +0000, Tigger wrote:
>In article <6E0RfAA9Ubk6EwGe at hermit0.demon.co.uk>, Nick Medford
><nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK> writes
>>In message <3.0.6.32.20010219160843.017f0760 at flite.net>, Andrew Apold
>><mordru at FLITE.NET> writes
>>>Part of the novel was that it took someone like
>>>Tanner to do this job, which was completely lost by replacing him with
>>>some rather decent, upstanding community-minded individuals.
>>
>>Wasn't there a 70s tennis player called Roscoe Tanner? I assume that's a
>>complete coincidence, or had he actually changed his name inspired by the
>>book? Seems pretty unlikely but you never know...
>
>It's been a while since I've read the book, but I don't remember him
>(The character, not the tennis player) ever being called Roscoe - his
>name was Hell Tanner.

it was a mess-up on my part.  I said Roscoe as a slip, I was subconsciously
thinking of the Tennis Player, obviously.

"To dwell within Samsara, however, is to
 be subject to the works of those mighty
 among dreamers."

 - Mahasamatman, in Zelazny's "Lord of Light"

Andrew Apold