OFF: not Blackmore's [K]night

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Apr 16 19:31:36 EDT 2001

At 17:10 -0400 16.04.2001, Eric Siegerman wrote:
>Give me Eliza Carthy, or Steeleye Span, or the Rankin Family, or
>Rare Air, or The New St. George, or, or...

Not that some of those artists play material that's _so_ traditional, but ...

Rare Air!  Now there was a band (for at least a couple of albums).
New St. George, were cool (if not overly trad), and named after a top
song :)

Steeleye need no introduction, but I saw one of the dates on the US
mini-tour last year and they rocked stupendously. Tim Harries' move
to the guitar spot gave them balls of basalt! Best "Thomas the
Rhymer" I've ever heard, and a bunch of other stuff. I should get
_Bedlam Born_, really.  I gather they're carrying on now that Gay
Woods has left (didn't like all those maudlin Irish songs she warbled
anyway) and more power to them.

>>  Ian Anderson guested on a track on one of the previous albums :)
>
>Now if Dave Pegg could convince him to guest on a Fairports album.
>(Apparently he's done so live, eg. at a couple of Cropredy's) ...

In '89, at least, as best as I recall (with the inimitable and
inutterably awesome Martin Barre in tow).  That material was released
on the _The Third Leg_ cassette set, which is due to see CD release
this summer, I hear.

Mind you, I've been paying more attention to the Scandinavian
folk-rock scene than the UK folk-rock scene the last couple of years.
Must remember to catch Gjallarhorn (with the unreasonably attractive
and talented Jenny Wilhelms!) at one of their UK festival appearances
this summer (not the Cambridge festival, alas).

Cheers,
Carl
--
Carl Edlund Anderson