WAY OFF: Insidious business practices

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Apr 4 21:21:24 EDT 2001

Paul wrote...

>Unless I am missing something obvious, nothing compels a shopper to use
>a "Reward card," or coupons, or any store money-saving incentive.  All
>stores I know of can be shopped with or without "Reward cards," yet the
>same is often not true of WWW sites.

Yeah, ok, but I *need* groceries.  As far as I can tell, I don't need to go
to any websites at all really.  (Well, that's actually debatable.)  :)

And ok, yeah, I'm free to pay more for my groceries to not have the card,
but why the *$@#!)$ should I?!  And you might think I'd be 'saving money,'
but I believe that the 'reward' is theirs.  I'm not inclined to spend the
time and effort to do 'opportunistic shopping,' which is the way to truly
save money (relative to the average person who doesn't pay much attention) I
suppose.  The problem is...they force you to play their game, or waste
money.  Commodities like groceries should be a simple thing....you need
something, you buy something.  End of story.

Grakkl (FAA)