HW: Live Legends

Tue Mar 21 09:49:58 EST 2000

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Michael Crook wrote:

> Tim Gadd wrote about Sonic Attack:
>
> >If that is Ron reading it on the Love in Space 3-track, I agree, though I
> >still don't think it's particularly effective.<
>
> That version sounds like Bob to me, and I agree its not one of his
> best. The version I was refering to is on the 'Hawkwind 1997' CD which
> is available from HW mission control. I also don't like a musical
> background to this track which is one reason why I like this version.

        I quite like the LiS version, if only because Bob's being so
sarcastic on it - "use your *wheels*, it *is* what they are *for*" - but
the HW97 one is one of the finest manifestations of sonic chaos I've heard
from Hawkwind - if you're going to have `Sonic Attack' played with all
instruments, at least make it weird! Mind you, I quite like the _Zones_
version, with that fierce little riff tucked in the middle, it builds up
the energy nicely for extra effect when it stops.

        But these questions have been much on my mind lately, for I was
wondering which version would be the best to use when I next get a DJ slot
at our local rock night - the purist in me says _Space Ritual_ but it
starts very quietly, probably too quietly, and I wonder if one of the more
melodic ones might not blend better. However, I don't want to use a Nik
version because they're all twice as long as necessary, likewise the
album version, and that seems only to leave the LiS and HW97 versions, and
I somehow feel this is the wrong decision. Any thoughts anyone? Yours,
                                                                       Jon

 --
        |       Jonathan Jarrett             11 Manhattan Drive,   |