OFF: Sci-Fi Authors (was: Re: Clarke's SF books)

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jun 20 06:17:14 EDT 2000

Doug Pearson writes:

> Rudy Rucker, a mathematics professor at San Jose State University, is a
> favorite of mine.  Supposedly his academic math writings are very good,
> too, but his science fiction has lots of great ideas and a fantastic sense
> of humor.  His "-ware" series takes the "I, Robot" concept(s) to several
> new levels ...

I loved the ice cream van slurping from people's brains to organise an
upload.

> One of the things I liked the most about the 'Starship Troopers' movie
> was the way it smirkingly-ridiculed Heinlein's right-wing views with
> its' way-over-the-top "friendly fascism".  Possibly one of the best
> "B" movies based on "pulp" sci-fi ever made ...

I'm not sure you have the right take on that. Sure the philosophy in the
book was ponderous in the extreme, but it was "right-wing" in the
libertarian rather than fascistic sense at bottom. look at the soldier's
father who opposed the military politics of the society: he was still
rich and had status. That hardly indicates a junta.

the movie was classic for it's laughing at military bureaucracy though.
The way they repeated crowding their dropships even after the first
disaster; the attack with no air support; the popguns; and that classic
"Pull Pin And Run Away Very Fast" nuke.

> I find it ironic that 'Stranger in a Strange Land' became a hippie
> bible, since its' situation/ethics are far more 50's 'Playboy' than
> truly "free" love (if there is/ever was such a thing).  People I knew
> who met him later in his life said that he was the ultimate "dirty old
> man".

I'd go with that.

>         -Doug

FoFP