Clarke's SF books

Bernhard Pospiech bernhard.pospiech at HOME.INS.DE
Mon Jun 19 11:57:23 EDT 2000

At 16:34 19.06.2000 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>M Holmes wrote:
>
>>Yep. I used to be a big enough Clarke fan (particularly his short
>>stories) that I took the risk of doing my English Higher section based
>>on him rather than the "literary" stuff (I did OK). However he seemed to
>>lose interest in writing good SF after "Imperial Earth" with maybe
>>"Songs of Distant Earth" as a minor exception. I'd always expected
>>"Rendezvous With Rama" to become an SF film once the tech was up to
>>doing it (about now) but I figure that the sequels are so purely awful
>>that this won't ever happen.
>
>I totally agree with you. (Although "Fountains of Paradise" wasn't bad)
>The last books he (co-)wrote were really dire. The problem IMHO is, that
>nowadays he only writes the online of the plot and lets other people (that
>Gentry Lee for example, who should have stayed with NASA and not become a
>SF-author) add the flesh around the bones. If he wants to do it that way,
>he should at least collaborate with authors who can write interesting.

I can't agree with that. As a very very big fan of ASIMOV, HEINLEIN and
CLARKE (I have all their books) I must say that the 4 RAMA books are best
SCIENCE FICTION I've ever read. Only the 15 FOUNDATION books are compareable

Bernhard