HW: OFF: New A-I.com issue is up

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Jul 19 17:19:18 EDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:48:45 -0400, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> wrote:
>Doug points out...
>>>Adrian Shaw (profile/interview)
>>
>>Keith - great job on this article!  It was a fantastic read for the subway
>>ride home from work last night.
>
>Thanks.  Karen K. deserves some credit for instigating it in a sense.

Well then, thank you, too, Karen!

>>It's Jack CASADY.
>
>Hey, this was done via e-mail...you know who to blame!  :)

I'll have to take that up with Ade next time the 'Frond are in town!

>I shoulda caught
>it though...if you had asked me, I think I'd have gotten it write.  :)

Yes, I'm sure you wouldn't spell it rong. ;^)

And yes, certainly an inconsequential error, just like the "Death Trap" bit
(that's why I call it "nit-picking").  I'm not actually going to COMPLAIN
over the mention of one of my favorite songs - no way!

>What did you think of the version of Wind of Change from "Thrilling"?  Simon
>House on stage w/ violin (as we hear in Steppenwolf just after (?)), but he
>doesn't play the melody from the original version!!!!

Yeah, a little disconcerting at first, but also very nice ...

>But then Brock's
>guitar bits are so awesome and energizing that I think this version is
>perhaps the best (or maybe 'tied' with the original).

One of the best things about Hawkwind is that when old songs get pulled out
of the hat, they frequently go through extensive rearrangements.  Not *all*
of which are improvements (nor are all as radical as 'The Business Trip's
"Quark..."), but I definitely prefer an occasional mis-step over a bunch of
carbon copies.

>Well, I liked the
>Nottingham version also, but haven't played it in years.  (People are still
>auctioning this CD on the web...despite the fact that it won't exist
>until.....when, Andy Gee?)

Not to mention the fact that the Adrian Shaw article has made me really
anxiously await the CD release of the 3 Weird Tapes (102, 103, 105) that
he's on (IF they're actually gonna happen ... I'm still not holding my
breath).  Having seen him several times with Bevis Frond, he has definitely
become my all-time second-favorite Hawkwind bassist (I hate to say it, but
great as he is, Alan doesn't even come close - IMHO, of course!).

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com