Off: enow and more

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Jan 28 19:47:47 EST 2000

This is in response to a message that failed to go last time because my
machine crashed catastrophically!   It is also by way of a test since
I'm using a different system so if anything doesn't come through
properly then apologies in advance!

Somebody was asking about the word "enow"

It is, as they suggested, similar to "enough" but it's old slang rather
than a modern form.   Probably best recognised from Edward Fitzgerald's
'Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam'
 "a flask of Wine, a book of verse - and thou beside me singing in the
Wilderness and Wilderness is Paradise enow".

In the dictionary it says it is an archaic form and originally meant the
plural of enough (not sure I understand that!) .  However there is also
a Scottish form that means "a moment ago" or "presently" and comes from
"even now".     Actually I suspect that the latter definition may be
closer to Fitzgerald's intention (i.e. this is sufficient Paradise for
now) than to a meaning of enough but both work in this context

Just in case anyone is remotely interested - and to prove that my
machine is working again!
cheers
jill