OFF: Farflung (was: Re: Inner City Unit Cassettes)

Sat Feb 26 19:16:57 EST 2000

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, john cartledge wrote:

> There's also an excellent track by Farflung (Landing on Cydonia), which
> has got me interested in getting some more of their stuff.
> As such, can anyone recommend an album that would be a good initial
> purchase, or are they all equally worth buying?

        `Landing on Cydonia' is off _25,000 Feet Per Second_, on
Flipside, which is quite excellent high-energy riff-packed spacerock. It
could be said however that if you've got that track you've got the best
thing on there, the other good bits being shorter. There are three
following albums, of which two are on Flipside also, one, _So Many Minds,
So Little Time_ being a hodge-podge of now unavailable singles, B-sides,
out-takes and so forth; the other, _The Raven That Ate The Moon_ is
extremely ambitious long improvised pieces in the vein of `Cydonia' but
less coherent and is only for the brave.

        So, on the whole, I'd say get the fourth album, _The Belief
Module_ which is absolutely brilliant and for me sets the current
frontiers of space-rock. It's on Bad Acid and is completely essential. I
think there's another one on the way out but  I know nothing about it
yet. Hope this helps, yours,
                             Jon

--
        |       Jonathan Jarrett             11 Manhattan Drive,   |