OFF: smoking etc.

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Feb 18 16:07:32 EST 2000

John missed the obvious with...

>Cholesterol and saturated fats, in excess, can certainly be deleterious to
>one's health (unless the idea of atherosclerosis and its complications is
>appealing to someone), but the difference between these and smoking is
>twofold.  Firstly, the body requires fat in the diet, although usually not
>in the kinds of quantities the typical american eats.  This is why north
>america has such a high rate of circulatory disease.  Nicotine is not needed
>by the body for survival.  Secondly, fats are not addictive (there is no
>withdrawal effect).  Nicotine withdrawal, however, produces intense
>psychological craving and definite physical withdrawal symptoms.

Ummmmm...the main difference is that eating fats and cholesterol doesn't
affect others' health, as smoking does.  (Hence, the push for some
regulation in public and the reason the 'libertarian' position doesn't
necessarily fly.)  The only real similarity is that both affect all of our
finances, by increasing insurance rates via increased medical costs and the
related reduction in worker productivity due to poor health.

And I believe there is behavioral addiction to eating certain foods and/or
amounts of foods...and that works both ways, i.e., overeating and
undereating.  Not the same as nicotine addiction, but certainly can be powerful.

Keith H. (FAA and caffeine addict)