MP3

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Fri Feb 18 08:01:06 EST 2000

>So I'm staying up night after night putting albums on MP3. I rip them at
>64kbps and that way (CD quality) we can fit 30+ albums per each CD.

64bps is NOT CD quality, you need to go to 128 to get that.  I usually
cut mine at 96, below that it starts to sound "tinny" to me.

>I put my 120 Hawk albums on mp3 do you think we should swap them?
>I buy all Hawkwind and related releases (lucky for me eh?) I think that
>between us it should be ok as a lot of these are deleted etc.
>
>The end of the music business?

Well, the music industry was starting to think so.

Already there is a cd-rom-based portable MP3 player coming out.  Yes, it
has moving parts, so loses a lot of the benefit of the memory-based ones,
but it also is very usable with the stuff you are burning.

I don't have one of those, still have my PMP300, which can only hold about
45 minutes of stuff at a time.  I use it for rollerblading.

"I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random