HW: Hawkwind in New Zealand

Thomas Guy Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM
Wed Feb 16 08:12:57 EST 2000

Talking of band's start times on stage, HW has been fairly consistent during
regular UK tours over the past decade or so!  Generally in the UK, 9.00 pm
seems to be the usual time for Messrs Brock and co. to hit the stage, and be
through by 11.00pm.  Even though I missed the last tour, I hear that some of
the dates (eg Croydon) started even earlier in the evening. This is fine by
me!  Why the hell do bands NEED to come on either side of midnight?  As Dave
B said at Slough (business trip tour 1993 - I think??) they had their
hot-chocolate and digestive biscuits to look forward to after the gig!  All
they needed was to have their slippers kept nice and warm by the fire, and
to be safely tucked-up in bed by 11.30!

It makes a 2 hour drive for us punters much more bearable at 11.00pm rather
than starting 1 or 2 in the morning!

Maybe I'm just getting too old too!

Guy T.

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   Ted Jackson jr. [mailto:tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU]
                Sent:   16 February 2000 11:42
                To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
                Subject:        Re: HW: Hawkwind in New Zealand

                On 15 Feb 00, at 20:35, Paul Mather wrote:

                > I have pretty much resigned myself to the reality that,
where I live,
                > I have to drive at least about 2 hours both ways to see
just about
                > anyone these days.  But, I figure if the band is worth it,
it's no
                > hassle.  I wouldn't give another thought to driving a
couple of hours
                > to see Hawkwind.  Now the REAL test of whether you think a
band is
                > worth it comes when you're looking at driving 5+ hours
both way... ;-)

                > The thing that peeves me, though, is why bands often will
not hit the
                > stage until it is ~10--11pm or so.  I'm sure there is some
rationale
                > for this, but, whatever, it is bloody inconvenient to be
setting out
                > on a 2+ hour drive home again at 1--2am or so. :-(

                I wholeheartedly agree.  I've seen tBS a few times when the
band
                didn't get onstage til almost midnight [or later!] And these
were gigs
                over an hour away from here, so yeah, you don't get home til
like
                3AM--too late for this old wheezer, esp. for a
during-the-week gig
                when one has to work the next day...

                theo