OFF: Terrascopic News

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 3 07:33:22 EST 2000

To reach Phil, the editor of the Ptolemaic Terrascope magazine write to:
         ptolemy at terrascope.org

For questions about the website write to Jon at:
        admin at terrascope.org

Now, on to the news!

* People patiently waiting for Ptolemaic Terrascope issue 28 should know
that it now has been printed and is currently (as at 2nd February) being
collated. Phil hopes to be able to collect it in the next week or so, and
once he's stuffed 'em all into envelopes should get copies in the mail and
off to you about three days after that. It's got a silver cover (!) and the
features include:

The Kinks (an interview with Dave Davies this time)
The Magic Band (a previously unpublished interview with Captain Beefheart
himself)
The Six Organs of Admittance (marvellous mystical folk-psych from amongst
the Californian redwoods)
The Deviants (hilarious Japanese tour diary by Mick Farren)
Charles Shaar Murray (an interview with the legendary UK journalist,
godfather of punk)
Mac Macleod interview (seminal UK folk singer & Hurdy Gurdyist, was also in
Donovan's backing band for years)
- plus the usual rag-bag assortment of other stuff.

The accompanying CD features unreleased stuff by Greg Weeks, the
Virgineers, the Deviants, Six Organs of Admittance, Mac Macleod, the
Wellwater Conspiracy, Help Yourself, Pangolin and others.

If you are not already a subscriber, the magazine can be purchased from the
UK address, printed near the bottom of this email, at the following rates:

UK: 6 pounds a copy or 20 pounds for a 4 issue subscription
Europe: 7 pounds a copy or 25 pounds for a 4 issue subscription
USA: 10 dollars a copy or 40 dollars for a 4 issue subscription
Rest of the World: 8 pounds a copy or 30 pounds for a 4 issue subscription

There are also a very few copies of issue 27 still in stock for the same
price.

* Ever gluttons for punishment, the editorial team are already working on
issue 29. Planned for Summer publication, features should include
[interviews with] Flying Saucer Attack, John Mayall, Greg Weeks, Os
Mutantes, Juneau, Scenic, the Small Faces, Broken Dog and Dipsomaniacs with
CD tracks by several of those as well as the Holy River Family Band (a
spin-off of the Spacious Mind for the uninitiated; Sweden's Spacious Mind
being the finest prog/folk/psych band in Europe right now and veterans of
Terrastock 3, for those who have no idea why they've even been sent this)

* Talking of which, plans are afoot to stage a fourth Terrastock this year,
in a last ditch attempt to recover the financial losses incurred at the
otherwise hugely successful Terrastock 3 last Summer. We're looking to hold
it in Seattle, and have dates in early November pencilled in, but PLEASE
don't get in touch asking for further information just yet. We'll let
subscribers know just as soon as we're ready to make an announcement and
will open the floodgates immediately afterwards.

* To avoid confusion, any festival held this year will definitely be billed
"Terrastock 4" and not "Terrastock 2000" as has been previously suggested.
Following lengthy and at some times heated negotiations, Phil has reached
an amicable agreement with the Chair of the International Scientific
Committee, Prof. Dr. E. Hahne of Stuttgart University in Germany, that the
name Terrastock will be loaned by ourselves (the Copyright holders) to him
for the duration of the International Conference on Thermal Energy Storage
on 28 August - 1 September 2000.

(sadly this is not a joke! Further details of Terrastock 2000 can be found
at http://www.itw.uni-stuttgart.de/terrastock - keep an eye on our own
website http://www.terrascope.org for details of Terrastock 4 meanwhile)

* All being well there will also be a Terrastock 5 (in 2001), and we have a
city, venue and dates in mind for that as well - again, more information
will be posted on our website as and when it becomes available.

* Discussions are also in progress towards the release of a Boxed Set of
selected live recordings from across the three Terrastock festivals to
date. Once agreed it's hoped to be able to include a major "Family Tree",
cross referencing all the Terrastock performers to date, which has been
pieced together by  Mr. Jeff Penczak over the course of several months and
many hours. There's also an option available to publish and expand the tree
into book format at some point.

* A reminder that those mysterious, elusive erstwhile boxers at Radio Never
Say Die have oodles of live recordings from Terrastock 3 available at
http://www.rnsd.com - and have just updated their site with recordings and
film of Terrastock veterans Bevis Frond, the Alchemysts and the Lucky
Bishops live at the Royal Standard in London at the "tinystock" show on
30st January just gone.

* Finally, we were very proud and very honoured to find ourselves heading
the year-end DroneOn list poll for 1999 in the magazine category. Full
details can be found at: http://www.webstudio.com/do99/zine99.cfm
- and our grateful thanks to anyone reading this who happened to vote for us.

THE PTOLEMAIC TERRASCOPE MAGAZINE
37 SANDRIDGE ROAD
MELKSHAM, WILTSHIRE SN12 7BQ
ENGLAND