Top 100 selling albums of 2000

Richard Stockwell richard at CRANIUM.CO.NZ
Thu Dec 28 15:10:25 EST 2000

Keith scrolling down your list of the 100 albums I counted 37 artists/titles
were I have seen advertising on TV for these bits of flotsam that mr & mrs
joe-public then buy. Now remember I live in that far off land called New
Zealand where we still haven't reached 4 million people yet and in a country
the same size as the UK and japan. So if we get this stuff advertised on TV
then I would assume that the same ads are being plastered on TV in all other
countries as well ... and that my friend is the major problem. Saturated
advertising to bring in maximum revenue and bugger the creative juices of
artistic expression. You and I and others here know there is literally a sea
of far more indepth music out there than the top 100 which has been made
through sheer "ram it down the publics throat" advertising. Again I come
back to the line from the Porcupine Tree 'Signify' CD "the brainwashed do
not know they are brainwashed'.
        That line is more relevant today than maybe at any other time in (music)
history.
        But to really sum it up I see Santana/Supernatural Blues came in at number
1. Why then does Sony need to sell this release by advertising you can be in
a draw to win some flash souped up car by buying the Cd .... clearly all is
not well in the world of tinsel and consummerism.

Regards

Richard
Cranium Music
www.cranium.co.nz