OFF: Top 100 selling albums of 2000

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Dec 28 14:50:28 EST 2000

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, K Henderson wrote:

=> Christ!  Is it *this* bad?  I've always told people who insist that my
=> musical tastes are just weird-'cause-I-like-to-be-weird that I do buy plenty
=> of highly popular stuff also.  Perhaps I just can't say that anymore.  Cause
=> I'm sure I bought about 100 new albums this year, and I didn't buy a single
=> one of these.  In fact, there are plenty of albums here by familiar bands
=> that I have never heard of.  Like Bon Jovi.  He's really popular again?
=> You're kidding me, when did that happen?  And I didn't even know about the
=> live Floyd album!  Or Iron Maiden (they still exist?), or U2 and Metallica
=> for chrissakes!  AC/DC too.  And Pearl Jam (they still exist?).

=> I bet that I have at least *one* of the top 100 from any other year from
=> 1968 up to the mid-90s at least.  Anyway, is there *anybody* here who bought
=> any of this rubbish?  Perhaps I'm not the only one, and popular music has
=> truly reached a nadir.

Okay, I'll stand up and say that I bought some of this "rubbish."  I
bought the Floyd _Is There Anybody Out There?_ double album, and bought
the Beatles _1_ as a Christmas present for someone.  (It boggles the
mind how anyone can classify the Beatles as rubbish, but I guess *I'm*
the one who's out of it.)

I guess you've been living under a rock, Keith. :-)  If nothing else but
to miss the postings on BOC-L ranting about the Radiohead album in the
list.  Or to read in the media of the cool release of the *entire* 2000
Euro tour by Pearl Jam[*], which made our local paper, at least.  Also,
if you happen to catch any Saturday Night Live (I watched it for the
election skits), you'll have caught AC/DC doing "Stiff Upper Lip," and
U2 doing stuff off their new album.  I believe Iron Maiden have actually
brought Bruce Dickinson(sp?) and the original guitarist (name?) back
into the band, and have heard good things have resulted (at least by
Maiden standards).

If this is ranked by albums sold, I'm amazed Iron Maiden came in at
number 55---above the Backstreet Boys!

(I thought it was taken as a given on this list that number of albums
sold was not a reliable indicator of quality?)

Cheers,

Paul.

obBOC-L: [*] Has anyone besides me noticed the blanga section towards
the end of "Present Tense?"

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa