Metallica don't suck (sort of)

Tue Apr 25 20:34:36 EDT 2000

OK OK ......I can stay silent no longer
I disliked the early Metallica albums (still do - that's my perogative -
neverbeen a thrash fan) but when the 'Black' album came along, I was
just swept away - the album represents for me one of the best ever
balances of metal and commerciality yet achieved. Ok, so the thrash fans
say 'sold out' and it made the band millions and megastars overnight,
but are you seriously telling me that 'Eneter Sandman' is not a
seriously brilliant slice of metal riffing, good enough for the mighty
Motorhead to cover; that 'Nothing Else Matters' has some of the best
dynamics on a 'power ballad' and an emotive quality that warms the
heart; that 'Wherever I May Roam', 'The Unforgiven' and 'Sad But True'
aren't great metal songs expertly wrapped up in a mix of qulity and
accesibility, etc.
In short, it substitutes the dynamics of rock for out and out power
(altho' my neighbours may well testify the opposite)while still being a
powerful album compared to many. Just because the songs are the sort of
thing that stay inside your head and don't let go, are they to be
chastised?
I won't delve further into the realms of hair-cutting and 'losing' the
fans base of old, but 'hey' - groups move on (unless you're Sepultura) -
you only have to look at the current Anathema album for proof of how a
band can suddenly be stricken by the quality bug - and while the current
dallying with the orchestra does not make for good listening at all, I
still think the 'black' album is a gem and even tho you are debating the
ethical merits of the group on the site, don't let that override your
view on the music - yes, feel free to dislike the music but don't
siuddenly disklike it just because the group are playing silly games.
That's my point of view and that's why it's a discussion group - thank
you for listening.
Andy Garibaldi.