OFF:HW: 7/70/75 some more

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 22 12:19:09 EDT 1999

hi gang!

some weeks back the question "what band did motorhead open for at their first
gig?" was being batted around; everyone involved said  'BOC' 'cept me, who
was insisting it was hawkwind, and required some kinda hard copy to believe
otherwise.

well.
i found a "master" (as of the early '90s) HW gig list i'd forgotten i had.
and while HW was in france the night before and in england the night after,
what does it say for 7/20/75?
not a thing.

i have a good friend w/a friend who e-mailed this 1st gig question straight
to lemmy, not that we'll hold our breath awaiting the reply.

barring a stunner from lemmy hisself, it does now appear that the unsigned
trio with no recordings, led by a guy who'd weeks before gotten the boot from
a "major" band because of ==eeek!== a drug bust, was opening for blue oyster
cult that fateful night, 7/20/75. i still wonder what the link was...

i found my tape of their initial performance and listened to it last night
for the first time in quite awhile. thought i'd type on it a bit.

the selections on my tape are:
*end of andy dunkley intro
*adolf speaks
**MOTORHEAD   <<==much like the HW version
**LEAVING HERE <<== w/an extended jam
**GOOD MORNING LITTLE SCHOOLGIRL  <<== w/an even longer extended jam...the
'song' part has no small resemblance to the toonz of another band yet to
release vinyl, the ramones.
**LOST JOHNNY  <<== as w/"motorhead"
**CITY KIDS  (cuts off short on my tape)
**medley: SILVER MACHINE/WAITING FOR THE MAN/IMPROV/WAITING FOR THE MAN/(SOME
'60S SONG I DON'T KNOW)  <<== vocals by wallis on "silver machine" (!)
and "waiting for the man"....and, somewhere in the improv, a brief snippet of
"golden void" (the 2nd progression). the song i dont know reminded me of the
swingin medallions or DC5, some sorta party song.

there are some moments when the jamming wouldnt find the contributions of Dik
Mcdettmar inappropriate, but all the elements of les motorhead classique
were, how you say, in the house from the beginning. absolutely.
the opening moments of 'silver machine' are missing from my copy; the
audience had clamored for it, i wonder how it was introduced. if wallis was
singing it, perhaps things werent so cool twixt lemmy and HW that motorhead
would've opened for 'em...
or would've wanted to, just then.

however,the rumor that the show was any sort of disaster is incorrect. wallis
has a few sloppy/forgetful moments, but it wasnt a sham gig. none of the
way-out-of-sync stuff like on "what's word's worth?" (a/k/a).

and they were well received, judging from the applause at the end. not a bad
first showing for an opening act...though i hope they dumped that adolf intro
soon enough.
======
and so, standing guardedly corrected i am

"<>"