BOC: Lyric discussions

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Mon Oct 4 08:28:59 EDT 1999

> => I don't know much about his solo works, but compared to BOC aura, Iron
> => Maiden's is just for kiddies entering the world of HM. Like cheap
> => horror comics compared to Lovecraft's world.
>
> Classic-era Maiden is one of those guilty pleasures nobody should pass
> up.  And hey, anyone who can work Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Frank
> Herbert, Heinlein, and _The Prisoner_ into their songs can't be ALL
> bad... ;-)

ABSOLUTELY!!  Iron Maiden is not exactly in the same class lyrically as
BOC (and of course, there aren't many who are), but I wouldn't exactly
say they are "just for kiddies entering the world of HM".  Their
influence on metal in the 80s is probably just as significant as BOC's.
And, as pointed out above, they actually have a pretty good range of
subject matter, much of it taken from some great literature.  Don't let
the rotting corpse that is their mascot fool you into thinking otherwise.

> > Reminds me of an ancient article in Creem, where EB was asked about BOC's
> lyrics/songwriting.  He said something like: '...It's an alternative to "I
> got da blues..."'
>
> Actually it was Allen Lanier.  And it was "de" blues :-)

Eric was also quoted once as saying something to the effect of "I can't
sing songs like, 'yeah baby, the juice is running down my leg'" --
that's not a direct quote, but I do recall that he didn't quote the Led
Zepplin line ("squeeze my lemon 'til the juice runs down my leg")
exactly either.

John